Update to NIPCM and CH IPCM to reflect changes to Scottish Government COVID-19 Testing Guidance
30 Aug 2023
The National Infection Prevention and Control Manual (NIPCM) and the Care Home Infection Prevention and Control Manual (CH IPCM) have been updated to reflect the Scottish Government CMO Letter (SGHD/CMO(2023)12).
This outlines changes to the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 Testing Guidance.
Specific reference to asymptomatic COVID-19 testing has been removed from the NIPCM and CH IPCM. Please note that COVID-19 testing for discharge to care homes/hospices is the only routine testing that has been retained as part of Scottish Government Policy.
The following sections within the NIPCM and CH IPCM have been reviewed, updated or archived to reflect a pause in asymptomatic testing and removal of any reference specific to COVID-19:
- NIPCM – Chapter 1 Section 1.1
- NIPCM – Chapter 2 Section 2.1
- NIPCM – Chapter 3 – specific references to COVID-19 removed.
- NIPCM – Neonatal Addendum - specific references to COVID-19 removed.
- CH IPCM – Chapter 1 Section 1 - specific references to COVID-19 removed. Link to Public Health Scotland COVID-19 guidance included.
- Appendix 19 – COVID-19 Pandemic IPC Controls for Health and Social Care Settings - archived
- COVID-19 Hospital Testing Table - archived.
- Assessing Staff contacts of COVID-19 in NHS acute healthcare settings – archived.
- SARS-CoV-2 A-Z Entry – links updated.
- Transition document: Winter Respiratory Infection IPC addendum to NIPCM - archived.
ARHAI Scotland note that many sectors are still undertaking respiratory screening questions. These questions will therefore remain as a standalone aide and can be accessed via the resources section of the NIPCM and CH IPCM. Thereafter, a full review of this aide will be undertaken in line with NIPCM methodology to allow us to consider future content and undertake appropriate stakeholder consultation.